Friday, 11 September 2020

Dames and Brains


Pic courtesy of Terry O'Neill/Getty Images
I felt really sad when I woke to the news that Dame Diana Rigg had passed away from the dreaded cancer.  She'll always be the iconic 'Emma Peel' of 'The Avengers' fame and popularity and who could forget the sadness when her character as Mr. Bond's new wife in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' was so quickly and horribly despatched? She was much more though than those two lightweight characters  and her resume is long and impressive. 


I kind of 'met' her once. She was Chancellor of the University of Stirling (she lived in the area then) during the time my eldest son studied and graduated from there and on the day of his graduation ceremony, she made the ubiquitous speech to an enthralled audience (which included some starstruck parents!) in true thespian fashion and with a voice that boomed around the hall,  she advised them to grab every opportunity which would come their way with both hands and make the most of each and every one. That advice stuck with me for a long time afterwards.
xoxoxo
As for the 'brains', a friend asked me whether I could knit a hat for her brain scientist friend who is also a university lecturer and who wanted to surprise her students on the first day of the new semester by wearing a 'braincell hat'.
Of course, I duly obliged, although I ran out of wool whilst making yards and yards of i-cord for the 'brainy' part of the hat but the recipient didn't mind and she sent me a nice pic of her proudly wearing her new hat. 
xoxoxo
In other news, Historic Scotland are opening up more venues and you can't help but have a giggle at the new signs they're operating at Edinburgh Castle and other places, even if you don't believe in unicorns but then again, how could you not??!

xoxoxo
I liked this pic of two cool and brainy dudes walking in the park. Luckily, I happen to know them and will be seeing them this weekend, yippee!
xoxoxo
Have a good weekend everyone, however you're spending it.
Stay Safe. Stay Well.
xoxoxo

13 comments:

  1. Hello Annie! Your brain hat turned out so well! You are clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pom. I was so nervous about posting it to her but she loved it! That I-cord gave me brain-ache though!!

      Delete
  2. That hat is impressive! I bet the class loved it. I think that pic of your boy with grandson all rosy cheeked is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. I don't usually post pics of the family faces but I couldn't resist this one!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic hat! I love the unicorn signs [the Gryphon statues at our national trust place were wearing masks]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. How clever that the Gryphons were wearing masks.

      Delete
  4. You did amazing with that hat Anne!!!! Well Done & no wonder she was thrilled with it. Gorgeous pics of that beautiful grandson. I think the unicorn sign is wonderful & means so much more than just saying "social distance".. Have a great weekend my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Your latest makes are wonderful too. x

      Delete
  5. That hat is genius and I love the photo of those two cool dudes in the park, even if you didn't know them already they were definitely worthy of a photo, they're a stylish pair!
    I only knew Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in The Avengers and Tracy in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (one of the best Bond films in my humble opinion.) I was amazed to discover that she was Guy Garvey's mother-in-law.
    Have an absolutely fabulous time with the family, hope the sun shines for you, it's glorious here this morning. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. Apparently, Diana Rigg couldn't stand George Lazenby and used to eat garlic before they did their kissing scenes!

      Delete
  6. Love the brain hat, you are brilliant. Hope you have nice family moments, well a unicorn apart of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Dianna Riggs..that show played in the U.S. and was very popular. I heard she had died. So awesome that you met her or at least heard her speak. I have never been impressed by famous people. I am more impressed by the "regulars". Very nice picture of those 2 cuties in the park! I've seen those brain hats and what a great idea for a brain scientist! Every brain scientist should have one! You did a great job and it looks like a healthy one!
    The unicorn distancing is wonderful! You all have such a wonderful sense of humor. Keep calm and carry on....we're trying to over here. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete

Do feel free to leave a little imprint to say you've called in.
My heartfelt gratitude for doing so and giving up your precious time and generosity of good spirit.
Come back soon.

The Wheels on the Bus....

Pinch punch second of the month! Typical me, chasing my tail as per! My car's very sick this week so I'm left without transport for ...